The raised latrine is meant to be deployed in emergency situations where there is a risk for flooding.
Other requirements were:
- Easy to transport
- Plug and Play concept
- Life span of at least 2 years
- Container based
- Costs not to exceed 2200 Euro
- Suitable for the different habits in toilets usage
- Suitable for extreme weather conditions
- Accessible for special target groups
- Comfortable and pleasant
The design was set up after several meetings with the partners and resulted in several proposals of which S(P)EEDKITS partners have selected one to develop into a prototype.
The design is based on a container with 2 complete toilets in it. The toilets can be connected and thus form a block of 4 toilets. The walls are made of canvas, which makes it light but durable. The feaces is collected in a plastic tank which can be easily replaced or emptied on a regular basis.
At this moment a prototype is being built to be tested in the field.