FINISH works with a unique multi-stakeholder approach that involves the entire value chain. By mobilising the supply side of sanitation while integrating financial resources into the value chain, it raises awareness on and creates a demand for sanitation services amongst end-users. This includes improving quality and safety of sanitation services, reducing the price of these services and ensuring proper disposal of the waste produced.
Supporting the development a more sustainable enabling environment for the private sector (sanitation entrepreneurs) to thrive.
Mobilise co-investments via collaborations with local and international financial institutions and banks
Establishing supportive enterprises to continue building value chains in waste and sanitation that reach scale without external funding.
Main activities include:
- Sanitation awareness and demand generation process
- Training for masons in sanitation system construction
- Building public-private partnerships (PPPs) to leverage grant funding through local microfinance institutions for sanitation loans, supplier’s credit and other financing instruments
- Local entrepreneur training for sanitation business development
- Liaise with local governments
- Safe recycling of human waste as agricultural or renewable energy input
Sanitation impact realised
- Cost of sanitation systems reduced by 15%
- 2,560 gram panchayats achieved open defecation free (ODF) status in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasathan, Maharashtra, and Odisha
- Over 900,000 toilets constructed
- Grant funding leveraged at a 1:20 ration, with local financing (€ 140 million)
"I thank WASTE for their great training, we have learnt a lot about plastic recycling and new business opportunities. WASTE brings the right public to the table to really have an impact.”
In 2010, the FINISH project partners set up the non-profit organisation in India, FINISH Society. FINISH Society was established to secure and manage the assets of the programme, such as the relationships, knowledge and network built up by the partners. FINISH Society is still active today.
FINISH India was active from 2009-19.
With the following partners involved: