Closing date: 30 November 2023
FINISH Mondial (FM) envisions a world where individuals have access to safely managed sanitation and financial inclusion. As a global initiative, FM has achieved significant milestones including constructing 1.8 million toilets, providing safely managed sanitation to 9 million people, and generating 20 million workdays. In pursuit of a world with financial inclusion and sustainable sanitation, FM organises annual Sanitation and Hygiene Hackathons, fostering innovation and scalability.
Overview and Theme of Hackathon 4
The fourth of the Hackathon Series (Hackathon 4) focuses on “Greywater Recycling for Sustainable Agriculture and Kitchen Gardening.” This thematic choice aligns with FM’s commitment to promoting a circular economy in the sanitation sector. Greywater, sourced from sinks, showers, laundry, and bathrooms holds potential as a resource for irrigation when treated. The hackathon’s four focus areas encompass Greywater Treatment Technologies, Smart Irrigation Systems, Sensor and Monitoring Solutions, and Community Engagement and Education.
The intern will play a pivotal role in supporting the successful execution of San Tech Hackathon 4, specifically focusing on Grey Water Recycling for small-scale agriculture and kitchen gardening. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
a) 24/7 Client Help Line Response:
- Respond promptly to client inquiries through various channels, including email and other communication platforms.
- Provide clear and concise information regarding the San Tech Hackathon, addressing queries related to submission guidelines, eligibility, and general information.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to enhance the overall experience for participants and sponsors, and partners.
b) Marketing and Advertising:
- Disseminate the San Tech Hackathon advertisement/flyer and related information across diverse networks, targeting individuals, organizations, and companies interested in sustainable WASH practices.
- Utilise social media platforms, email newsletters, and other channels to maximise outreach.
- Develop and implement innovative strategies to enhance participation and engagement.
c) Acknowledgment of Submissions:
- Acknowledge receipt of Hackathon submissions promptly, ensuring participants feel valued and informed.
- Collaborate with the organising team to verify submission completion and compliance with guidelines.
d) Archival and Reporting:
- Maintain a systematic archival system for all submissions, ensuring easy retrieval and reference.
- Generate regular reports summarising key metrics, participant demographics, and other relevant information.
- Provide insights and recommendations for improvement based on the analysis of data collected.
f) Documentation and Knowledge Transfer:
- Document best practices, challenges, and lessons learned during the implementation of the San Tech Hackathon 4.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer by creating comprehensive guides or manuals for future reference.
g) Evaluation Support:
- Assist in the evaluation process, collaborating with the judging panel to ensure a fair and thorough assessment of submissions.
- Collect feedback from participants and judges to identify areas for improvement in future hackathons.
h) Any other duties assigned by the supervisor: in relation to providing general support to the project team as needed, contributing to the overall success of the San Tech Hackathon 4 initiative.
Duration and Compensation:
- The internship will commence on 1st of December 2023 and conclude on 30th March 2024.
- The internship is for 20 to 36 hours per week, with a compensation of 300 euros per month.
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in any of the following: WASH, Grey Waste Water Treatment (preferably Grey Water treatment), Environmental Health, or Agriculture, possess strong communication and organisational skills, and demonstrate familiarity with sustainability and water recycling concepts. The candidate has proficiency in using communication tools and social media platforms.
To apply, please send an email to Sophie van Soest ([email protected]) with your CV and a short motivation letter (max 1 side of A4). Successful applicants will be invited to interview. You can also find out more about the Hackathon 4 here.