Creating jobs for young people and returning migrants in Mali
WASTE and RUAF have been working together in the OJEM project to contribute to the development of economic opportunities and to create jobs for young men and women and for returning migrants in Mali. The project takes place in the four cities (regions) of Kayes, Koulikoro, Gao and the district of Bamako, all areas where young Mali people face systemic employment challenges.
The project was funded by the EU Trust Fund to contribute to the development of economic opportunities in horticulture and organic farming, agribusiness, handicrafts, solid waste management and food chains in urban agriculture. This project is being carried out in a consortium with SNV, ICCO and APEJ.
• Contribute to the self-employment and employment of over 10.000 young people in four years (including women and disadvantaged groups)
• Promote the development of SMEs to contribute to the employment of young people (especially women and disadvantaged people);
• Contribute to the creation of a financial and educational environment conducive to youth employment.
Our role in the project
Within the bigger project, our main focus was on setting up small businesses in solid waste management and improving existing ones to help them to grow and create employment. Our partner RUAF worked primarily with businesses in food chains within the four cities.
Impact we realised
Local team trained in solid waste, recycling and urban agriculture
100+ SMEs created in waste management
Young people trained in solid waste management and food chains
Partners we work with
• SNV (lead)
• ICCO (implementing partner)
• APEJ (government)
Funded by EU Trust Fund
Four city studies on the solid waste situation (French only):
• Etude de base déchets solides Bamako, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base déchets solides Goa, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base déchets solides Koulikoro, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base déchets solides Kayes, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base sur secteur privé déchets Bamako, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base sur secteur privé déchets Gao, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base sur secteur privé déchets Koulikoro, Mali (2018)
• Etude de base sur secteur privé déchets Kayes, Mali (2018)
Successful examples of enterprises in the waste value chain around the world (2018)
• French version
• English version